[Avodah] Issur Karet removed

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 2 04:18:43 PDT 2017

On 02/08/17 00:51, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
> Someone in a Facebook discussion left me with a question. Going to Har
> Habayit is justified based on new information, ya'ani we now possess
> information which previous generations didn't have. Therefore we can
> certify that certain areas on Har Habayit are safe (yes, I understand
> that not everyone agrees with this position).
>
> Are there any other examples of an issur karet or a potential issur
> karet (or even a  stam issur lav) that we now permit because we can
> determine where the issur actually is?

*Any* case where we got new information.  Take the classic case of two
pieces of fat, one shuman and one chelev, but one doesn't know which is
which, and then one later finds out.  Before finding out both were
assur; if one ate one of them beshogeg one brings an asham and the other
piece remains assur.  Once the new information is acquired the shuman
becomes permitted, and if it transpired that one ate the chelev one must
now bring a chatas.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all