[Avodah] R. Eleazar Hakalir

Michael Feldstein via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 2 09:05:17 PDT 2017

Yesterday during the fast, I was reading about R. Eleazar Hakalir, and was
struck by the fact that historians aren't sure when he lived, with some
saying he lived during Mishnaic times and others saying he lived as late as
the 11th century. I realize that pinpointing dates during this time period
is difficult, but a 900 year swing seems very unusual.  Is anyone familiar
with any recent papers or articles that attempts to zero in on the real
date when this poet lived? Any additional info appreciated.

--
Michael Feldstein
Stamford, CT