[Avodah] Correcting Baalei Kriah

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jul 21 02:09:44 PDT 2017

Ikkar ha-din, someone who  can't properly enunciate Hebrew letters isn't
allowed to pray from the amud, never mind read the Torah or Haftorah.  I
don't know if there is a need to correct someone who consistently makes
mistakes but there is certainly no reason to allow him to read at all if
he can't do it properly.

As an aside: one of my rabbis said that RYBS didn't correct someone in
class who made mistakes reading the Gemara text but if someone made a
mistake with a pasuk in the Gemara, then the Rav let him have it.

Ben