[Avodah] Correcting Baalei Kriah

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 19 03:31:23 PDT 2017

On 7/19/2017 5:23 AM, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> Now, it seems to me that *IF* there is a takanas chachamim that the
> haftarah be read, *THEN* there is a takanas chachamim that the
> haftarah be read *properly*. Do you agree, or do you feel it is okay
> when the haftarah is read improperly?

I don't think the question works.  Consider: we have a chiyuv to daven
shmoneh esrei.  But there are different girsaot, so clearly, exact
wording isn't critical to fulfilling the requirement.  So we already see
that there are different levels of chiyuvim, and that we are more
medayek on exact wording on some levels than others.

Certainly the takana is to read it properly, but there's surely a lot
more give in what can be considered "properly" when it comes to
something like haftara than there is for Torah.

Lisa

---