[Avodah] Maharat

Ilana Elzufon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jun 2 01:50:32 PDT 2017

> LL: The problem is, as I see it, that when one adopts an external -ism as
> an ideal, and try and "move in a somewhat more -ism-friendly direction
> WITHIN what is halachically permitted", they're essentially saying that
> their motivating principle is that -ism.  That halakha isn't the motivating
> principle, but merely bookends.  Limits to how far they can push the -ism
> that's important......
>
> Similarly, people immersed in the egalitarian ethos so prevelent in the
> Western world today cannot *imagine* a world where that isn't the
> universally accepted ideal, except for barbaric and backwards societies.
> It's a given that egalitarianism is the more advanced worldview.  The more
> civilized worldview.  That to the extent that a worldview is less
> egalitarian, it is less civilized.  More backwards.
>
> So now consider what it means to say, "I want to be as egalitarian as
> possible, within the bounds of halakha".  It means "I want to be as
> civilized as possible, within the bounds of the less civilized and more
> backwards system of halakha."  How can that help but breed disrespect,
> discomfort, and eventually contempt for halakha?

Yes, if one defines one's ideology and worldview primarily as feminist, one
is going to struggle with halacha. Some people struggle and still maintain
Orthodox practice. Some become "halachic egalitarian."

But even those who try to define our worldview primarly based on the Torah
live in an increasingly egalitarian society. Even women who would never
dream of making a women's zimmun (range of psak on this goes from
obligatory to optional to assur) have their own credit cards and vote in
elections and choose whom they want to marry. Halachic psak does not exist
in a vacuum; it applies to a particular metziut in a particular time and
place.

I can certainly see room to argue that the institution of maharat is an
example of an attempt to "push" halacha to evolve artificially to conform
to feminism. But to some extent, increased involvement of women teaching
and learning all areas of Torah, at all levels, is a natural halachic
development in response to changing reality. Each posek will draw his own
line as to what is a positive development (maharats? yoatzot? Rebbetzin
Heller?), and what needs to be reined in.

Halacha is dynamic. (This is true even if the Conservative movement also
says it!) Obviously, there are boundaries, but there is also plenty of room
for different opinions, and for development over generations. I am not
advocating always choosing the most feminist interpretation possible within
the bounds of what is mutar. I am pointing out that increasingly
egalitarian psak within halacha reflects the reality in which we live.

Shabbat Shalom,
Ilana