[Avodah] Maharat

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jun 2 01:16:29 PDT 2017

On 6/1/2017 10:39 AM, Ilana Elzufon via Avodah wrote:
> Me: ...most of us also live in an "outside world" that is highly
> egalitarian...And I don't think it is wrong for those changes in the
> experiences of women and couples and families and communities to
> affect religious practice, to move us in a somewhat more egalitarian
> direction WITHIN what is halachically permitted.
>
> RJR: Would it be correct to say that the general case of this argument
> is that as long as it can be argued that something is halachically
> permitted (which many seem to define  as not totally halachically
> forbidden by r’mb’s black letter law), then we can accept it without
> asking whether HKB”H prefers it?
>
> Me: No!!! But does HKB"H really prefer that psak and practice should
> be identical for each community and each generation?

I'm not sure that's the question.  The problem is, as I see it, that
when one adopts an external -ism as an ideal, and try and "move in a
somewhat more -ism-friendly direction WITHIN what is halachically
permitted", they're essentially saying that their motivating principle
is that -ism.  That halakha isn't the motivating principle, but merely
bookends.  Limits to how far they can push the -ism that's important.

It's the difference between a static principle and a dynamic one. What
you're describing has egalitarianism as the dynamic force, and halakha
as a static one.  A fossil.  And there's no way to maintain that
worldview for long without starting to chafe against the static limits.
At which point, people put their shoulders into it and *push* those
limits a little bit further.  And then a little further than that.  And
they feel frustrated by those limits.  That's probably the biggest
problem.  It turns halakha into shackles and frustration.  And you only
have to read articles written by certain YCT teachers and grads to see
the hostility that comes out of that.

Yes, there are people who can manage to walk the tightrope and not fall
into that kind of frustration, but they are few in number, and not
representative of the "movement", as such.  And many of them, in my
observed experience, eventually fall off.

Permit me to illustrate this mindset with something that just happened
*as* I was writing this.  My 17 year old daughter was reading a comic
book from the early 1990s.  In the comic, the hero (Superboy) is 16, but
all of the women he dates are in their 20s. Today, we call that
statuatory rape, and have little to no tolerance for it.  But if you
recall the early 90s, that idea was rather new, and while the writers of
the comic gave lip service to the idea, even having characters
laughingly calling Superboy "jailbait", it wasn't nearly as taboo as it
is today, at least when the younger person was male.  But my daughter is
livid about it.  Appalled.  And she isn't able to imagine a world in
which that was the way people thought.

Similarly, people immersed in the egalitarian ethos so prevelent in the
Western world today cannot *imagine* a world where that isn't the
universally accepted ideal, except for barbaric and backwards
societies.  It's a given that egalitarianism is the more advanced
worldview.  The more civilized worldview.  That to the extent that a
worldview is less egalitarian, it is less civilized.  More backwards.

So now consider what it means to say, "I want to be as egalitarian as
possible, within the bounds of halakha".  It means "I want to be as
civilized as possible, within the bounds of the less civilized and more
backwards system of halakha."  How can that help but breed disrespect,
discomfort, and eventually contempt for halakha?

Lisa

---