[Avodah] kitniyot

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 20 05:05:14 PDT 2017

On 20/04/17 04:20, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:

> BTW if the future Sanhedrin gets rid of gezerot that no longer make
> sense I vote for eliminating the second day of YT outside Israel. Given
> modern communications, the whole world would know the time of kiddush
> hachodesh instantaneously. RH might be a problem but there might be
> technological answers to that also.

The simplest method of getting word of kiddush hachodesh to the whole
world on Shabbos/Yomtov is to have a goy send a tweet, which every
Jewish house or shul could be set up beforehand to receive.  Amira
lenochri is of course midrabbanan, so the Sanhedrin can authorise an
exception.

But there's an even better solution: Kidush hachodesh (as opposed to
notifying people about it) is  docheh Shabbos/Yomtov.  Eidim can be
positioned in advance in places guaranteed to have no cloud cover and a
good view of the moon (perhaps Ramon Crater?), and they can then drive
to Yerushalayim, arriving in plenty of time to testify as soon as the
beit din opens in the morning.   They could even be positioned on desert
mountaintops in chu"l, and fly in.   Thus we could guarantee in advance
that Elul will never again have a 30th day, and everyone could rely on
that without actually being notified on the day.

--
Zev Sero                May 2017, with its *nine* days of Chanukah,
zev at sero.name           be a brilliant year for us all