[Avodah] kitniyot

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Apr 21 09:38:52 PDT 2017

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:20:04AM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: BTW if the future Sanhedrin gets rid of gezerot that no longer make sense I
: vote for eliminating the second day of YT outside Israel. Given modern
: communications, the whole world would know the time of kiddush
: hachodesh instantaneously....

I would like to suggest a different angle on YT Sheini.

It's not so much that Chazal were afraid of the same problems might
arise in bayis shelishi. After all, the language in the gemara isn't
the usual that we find with (eg) chadash on Nisan 16 or other taqanos
to avoid that kind of problem.

I would suggest that, like the format of birkhas hachodesh, the whole
taqanah was an excuse to keep alive the idea that qiddush hachodesh
ought to be al pi re'iyah.

It is that important to remember that the progression is "meqadesh
Yisrael vehazmanim", that people sanctify time, rather than the times
imposing themselves on people.

:-)BBii!

micha at aishdas.org        1 week and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Gevurah: When does strict
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  judgment bring balance and harmony?