[Avodah] Al Zeh Gazru VeAl Zeh Lo Gazru

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 6 10:01:53 PDT 2017

On 4/6/2017 6:07 PM, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
> We all assume we can't have new gezerot. Is this really true?
> In essence these are all new gezerot perhaps without the nomenclature

The nomenclature is vital. As I said in my previous email, we don't blur
the distinctions between d'Orayta and d'Rabbanan, and we don't blur the
distinctions between gezeirot, takkanot, chramim, siyagim, minhagim, etc.

Yes, it's forbidden to eat chicken parmesan. And it's forbidden to eat a
pork chop. There's no wiggle room. Both are forbidden. So to someone
on the outside, those prohibitions might look like the same thing,
"perhaps without the nomenclature". But the nomenclature matters,
because there are different rules for the two. Just as there are
different rules for the various "add-ons".

Lisa