[Avodah] Working on Chol Moed

Professor L. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Apr 6 08:41:16 PDT 2017

The following is from today's OU Kosher Halacha Yomis

Q. If I don't work on Chol Hamoed my paycheck will be much smaller. Is this a davar behaved (irreparable loss)? Am I permitted to go to work on Chol Hamoed?

A. A loss of profit is generally not considered a davar ha'avud. As such one cannot automatically assume that it is permissible to work on Chol Hamoed. Nonetheless there are situations where davar ha'avud would apply. For example, if a person will use up vacation days by not working during Chol Hamoed, and there is a preference to take vacation at a more convenient time, this may be considered a davar ha'avud. (See Shmiras Shabbos Kihilchoso, vol. 2, chapter 67, footnote 47.) Furthermore, if a person is struggling financially, and not earning a salary on Chol Hamoed would be stressful, this may be treated as a davar ha'avud. Nonetheless these leniencies are not ideal, and Rav Belsky, zt"l stressed that it is preferable to not work on Chol Hamoed.