[Avodah] potatos on Pesach

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Apr 3 13:43:35 PDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 11:17:00PM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: This claim comes up regularly, but as far as I can tell it's not
: true.  If anyone has actually seen this inside the Chayei (or Nishmas or
: whatever) Adam, please correct me by citing the location >>
:
: Nishmas Adam, Hilchos Pesach, Question 20 (from the article on
: Potatos) mentions
: retzke that are called tatarka which are used to make flour are kitniyot

It's Kelal 119, Q 20.

: later on the Nishmas Adam talks about bulbus which is called erdeffel which
: I saw a translation as potatos. If this translation is accurate then the
: Nishmas Adam is quoting a bet din in Germany that allowed potatos on Pesach
: in case of a major famine.

And so, as Zev pointed out, it is untrue that the CA advocated this
position. Which is what is commonly retold. (At least, in my experience.)
The Nishmas Adam merely reported that the ruling / custom exists.

Micha Berger             When faced with a decision ask yourself,
micha at aishdas.org        "How would I decide if it were Ne'ilah now,
http://www.aishdas.org   at the closing moments of Yom Kippur?"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter