[Avodah] potatos on Pesach

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Apr 3 13:17:00 PDT 2017

*<<*This claim comes up regularly, but as far as I can tell it's not
true.  If anyone has actually seen this inside the Chayei (or Nishmas or
whatever) Adam, please correct me by citing the location >>

*Nishmas* *Adam*, *Hilchos* *Pesach*, Question 20 (from the article on
Potatos) mentions
retzke that are called tatarka which are used to make flour are kitniyot

My yiddish is very limited I saw one place that translated this as corn
while another used buckwheat

later on the Nishmas Adam talks about bulbus which is called erdeffel which
I saw a translation as potatos. If this translation is accurate then the
Nishmas Adam is quoting a bet din in Germany that allowed potatos on Pesach
in case of a major famine.

--
Eli Turkel