[Avodah] Good manners will open doors that the best education cannot. Clarence Thomas

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Apr 3 12:21:49 PDT 2017

One of my doors recently broke and I’m having a new one installed Wednesday.
It brought to mind a MIdrash I once learned telling of the basic distinctiveness
of the Jewish door and the secret of its architectural design, which served as a
protection against annihilation.

“And strike the upper doorpost through the merit of Abraham, and the two side-posts,
in the merit of Isaac and Jacob. It was for their merit that HE saw the blood and would
not suffer the destroyer” (Midrash Rabbah XVII - 3 Exodus).

It set me to thinking. Aren’t the doors to a home indicative of the nature and character
of those who live beyond them? I began to think of doors with various emblems
displayed upon them. Some say: “We have given.” “No Beggars or Peddlers Allowed.”
“Nobody lives here,” etc.  But next Monday evening, the Jewish emblem on the entrance
door will say:  "Let all who are hungry, come and eat."

On this Festival of Pesach, let not Judaism pass over our doors. When we open our
doors to welcome Eliyahu Hanavi, let us keep it open wide, to welcome all that is positive,
invigorating and creative in Jewish life. Let our doors be indicative of proud Jewish
occupants. Let us display our Mezuzot not as mere adornments but as emblems which
proudly proclaim for all to see: “We are proud to be the sons and daughters of Abraham,
Isaac and Jacob; and we are determined to carry on in their tradition.

Grief is a room without doors but Passover’s power not only changes that
situation but it sends Eliyahu Hanavi right through.
Truncated cliché, rw