[Avodah] chazkah that changed

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Apr 2 03:40:59 PDT 2017

<<The Rama says that nowadays, brazeness is too common, and the Ran says
this is only WRT to demanding a divorce to any subsequent marriage.
Hagahos Maimonis says we do not rely on this chazaqah to allow her to
collect her kesuvah. Veyeis omrim, it's only believed lechumera (BY in
the name of OC). >>

I would venture that according to everyone chazakot in financial matters
can change.
The famous case is a borrower who denies everything (kofer ba-kol)
according to the Torah he doesn't pay anything and is not required to swear
since no borrower would be brazen to completely deny a lie. The gemara says
that "today" people are brazen and so we require a "shevua".

I would guess that other financial chazakot for example that someone
doesnt repay a loan ahead of time would depend on the current situation. If
today there would be some reason for people to pay back a loan early that I
would guess that the halacha indeed would change.

--
Eli Turkel