[Avodah] Visiting a Shul

Arie Folger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Apr 2 04:01:33 PDT 2017

RJRich asked:

> Visiting a shul questions-actual practices and sources appreciated:
> * Would your shul allow a guest to read his own Aliya?
> * Would your shul allow a guest to say his own nussach of kaddish (not as
shatz)?
> * Would your shul (in galut) allow the shatz not to say baruch hashem
l'olam in maariv?
> * Would your shul allow a guest to say 13 middot aloud by Tachanun(if
local practice is not to)?
> * Would the answers be different if requested before prayer (vs. gabbai
intervention at time of event)?

Me:
In all those cases, in our shul, local minhag trumps the wishes of the
guest, though we won't jump at anyone for adding vekooraiv mesheechay or
werewa'h weassalah.

Sometimes the reading of one's own aliya may be tolerated.

When I was an avel, I mostly davvened in shuls that did not adhere to my
minhag (though I layer "converted" to one of those other minhaggim), and as
shaliach tzibbur, always followed their respective minhaggim.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Yours sincerely,

Arie Folger