[Avodah] KaVuA and Kol DePoRish

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Mar 20 13:24:30 PDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 06:31:45AM +1100, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
: Clearly, where we have liquids that are combined there can be no Parish
: since we assume it is an even dispersion and every drop contains some of
: both parts of the mixture. I dont understand why this is relevant to my
: analysis of KaVuA and Kol DePoRish.

It's not. You mentioned kol deparish as a kind of taaroves. I don't think
the comparison holds because the halakhos of rov differ WRT ra'aroves
and qol daparish, and even WRT parish, between ruba deleisa leqaman and
ruba de'isa leqaman.

: In a non-liquid mixture, dwelling on the risk of whether one is eating a
: Kosher or a non-Kosher component...

Or, eating both.

A taaroves is not generally considered a safeiq about which part of the
taaroves one ate.

: Rov and KaVuA; it is what leads to the great confusion and unanswerable
: question - but the statistics of the meat being K or not K are identical be
: it that the meat is found in the street or we forgot which shop we entered
: to make our purchase.

Again, I consider the question very answerable, see the discussion of
RGN's shitah. Original text at
http://rygb.blogspot.com/2017/03/r-gedalia-nadels-explanation-of-kavua.html
Nobel laureatte R/Prof Aumann's theory based on "Moral Hazard", the
start of this thread, is similar. As was the idea I've been plugging
since before the start of this list.

Or, see R' Aqiva Eiger's explanation. More in terms of halachic principles
-- the chiluq between how to pasqen with an unknown metzi'us (parish)
and how to act when there is an existing pesaq, but it's unknown (qavu'ah)
-- then the RGN-like wrapper I put around it.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l