[Avodah] KaVuA and Kol DePoRish

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Mar 21 04:54:42 PDT 2017

I explained theYesod of Kol KaVuA and Kol DePoRish in the following way
- we only follow the Rov if our Safek is caused by a TaAruvos.
The fellow who buys meat and can no longer remember if he bought Neveilah
meat for the dog or Kosher for the family, has a Safek which is not
prompted by a TaAruvos, we therefore cannot use Rov.

R Micha suggests that my analysis is flawed because the Halachos of Rov
differ WRT TaAroves
and Kol DeParish, and even WRT Parish, between Ruba Deleisa KaMan and Ruba
DeLeisa KaMan.

R Micha, please give some examples to illustrate what you mean.

R Micha also suggests Rov and KaVuA are readily understood as per
http://rygb.blogspot.com/2017/03/r-gedalia-nadels-explanation-of-kavua.html;
Nobel laureate R/Prof Aumann's theory based on "Moral Hazard"

Or R' Aqiva Eiger's explanation
Paskening with an unknown Metzi'us (parish)
and how to act when there is an existing pesaq, but it's unknown (qavu'ah)

Honestly, R Micha - these are such complicated confusing guidelines

When ordinary clear headed people look at it they are greatly confused and
struck by what appears to be an unanswerable question - the statistics of
the meat being K or not K are identical be it that the meat is found in the
street or we forgot which shop we entered to make our purchase.