[Avodah] Farfetched Ukimtas

Rich, Joel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Feb 27 22:58:32 PST 2017

> The question is when the Gemara offers these ukimtas does the Gemara really think that this is what the Tanna meant? Or is the Gemara just offering logical possibilities to avoid it looking like an Amora is arguing on a Tanna (this may depend on the reason why Amoraim don't argue on Tannaim)? How are we supposed to approach these kinds of ukimtas when learning a daf gemara?

> Obviously I do not know what the Gemara was thinking. In the spirit of all facts are theory based (an aphorism which I think I may have authored) I would say that the data seems to suggest that it may have been an attempt to reconcile a later position with an earlier one rather than just leaving it as a disagreement.  Of course this goes to the debate about whether authorial intent makes a difference.
Kol tuv
Joel rich
THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.