[Avodah] Farfetched Ukimtas

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Feb 28 07:35:55 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 06:58:32AM +0000, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
>                I would say that the data seems to suggest that it may
> have been an attempt to reconcile a later position with an earlier one
> rather than just leaving it as a disagreement. Of course this goes to
> the debate about whether authorial intent makes a difference.

Or, ... rather than assuming the unlikely or invalid case (depending on
sides of a machloqes) of an amorah disagreeing with a tana, the gemara
assumes that the version of the mishnah repeated was missing critical
details. Much like chisurei mechasra vehakhi katani.

In other words, it could be that the norm/requirement on the amora forces
us to make assumptions about authorial intent, rather than having to
enter a discussion of whether that intent matters.

As for my own take about the interpretation of earlier sources and
whose intent matters, I argue that mesorah is a third state between the
classical academic's search for original intent and the post-modern or
deconstructionist approach to intent in
http://www.aishdas.org/asp/postmodernism-and-mesorah

Micha Berger             I slept and dreamt that life was joy.
micha at aishdas.org        I awoke and found that life was duty.
http://www.aishdas.org   I worked and, behold -- duty is joy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Rabindranath Tagore