[Avodah] The Many Facets of Asarah B'Teves

Professor L. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jan 6 00:40:36 PST 2017

From

http://tinyurl.com/htce7ow

Although to many the only notable aspect of the upcoming fast of Asarah B'Teves (the 10th of Teves) is that it is by far the shortest fast day in the Jewish calendar for anyone in the Northern Hemisphere (my heartfelt sympathies to the South Americans, So'Africans, Aussies, and Kiwis), nonetheless, the Fast of Asarah B'Teves is quite unique. For example, exclusive to this fast is that it is the only one that we do actually observe as a fast on a Friday[1]<http://ohr.edu/5324#_edn1>. Even Tisha B'Av, which commemorates the actual destructions of our Batei HaMikdash, gets pushed off. Yet, obviously, to maintain this distinction of being the only Fast Day that we actually do observe on Friday, there must be much more to the Fast of Asarah B'Teves than meets the eye. In turns out that Asarah B'Teves has several exceptional characteristics that are not found in any other fast day.

See the above URL for more.  YL