[Avodah] Vayigash

r via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jan 5 11:55:22 PST 2017

In an interview (Newsweek, December 19, 1966), Israeli Prime Minister,
Levi Eshkol, put it bluntly: "It was an unjust condemnation. These 15
nations don't say a word about how we should protect ourselves. They
want to say, "you Jews have to sit and be butchered. We were butchered
wholesale in Europe under the Nazis. We didn't gather our remnants
together; we didn't gather two and a half million Jews in this country to
be butchered -- not wholesale and not singly." Then the Prime Minister
of Israel slammed his hand on the desk and shouted, "The Hell with it,
it's enough!"

In this week's portion of Vayigash, that is what Judah taught. The lesson
is vital. It is a lesson of daring courage and of responsibility. This
is true not only about Jews and world issues -- as grave and distressing
as they are. Prime Minister Eshkol did exactly as Judah did -- when it
was necessary, he shouted. Judah's position is a very simple one. "There
are times that one must not remain silent."

The Midrash says: Judah said to Joseph, "Do you think you can take
Benjamin and there will be peace in my Father's (note the upper case "F")
house? Why, if you keep Benjamin, we will tear this place apart!" Judah
roared, in a loud roar and his voice was heard four hundred yards
away. "Yes, we are all brothers. Chained and linked in each other's hand,
tied and bound to each other's heart. I am speaking to you, Mr. Prince,
not knowing who you are; I am speaking from the depths of my heart. What I
say should penetrate your mind and heart. I am not speaking for myself. I
am not shouting or protesting in my own behalf, but rather protesting
an injustice perpetrated against my brother." In silence we tolerated
century after century of inhumanity and wholesale butchery. That is why
Prime Minister Eshkol was shouting. To be moved by your conscience and
protest; to be moved by your emotions and protest; to alert the world
to evil so that it may be eradicated and it may be replaced by the good.

We pray that the Holocaust victims have not died in vain and that
they shall never be forgotten and always be remembered. They died al
Kiddush HaShem. May their memories not only be for a blessing but for
reminding us that we must not stand idly by the blood of our brothers
and sisters. Our love, care and remembrance of them shall measure up
to the love, care and concern that former Israeli Prime Minister, Levi
Eshkol had for the Jews who perished in the Shoah.