[Avodah] Opening the Door of a Refrigerator on Shabbos

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Dec 6 06:58:00 PST 2016

Since I am afraid many won't bother chasing R/Prof Levine's URL
<https://web.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/kashrus/Daf25-2c.pdf>
to see what RSG was talking about, I will take the time to be more
specific...

RYB and yb"l RHS "have recommended" using a timer when opening a
refrigerator door when it has door sensors to control an automatic
defrost system.

In addition to the vague "have recommended" -- does this mean chumerah or
din? -- there is also vagueness about whether this is the only newfangled
constaption that door sensors may be employed for, or if there are other
features that could put my next fridge on the watch list. And then they
add, "Furthermore, even with older refrigerators it is recommended to use
a timer because some of the older models may also have areas of concern."
This is kept separate from "OU poskim have recommended", and is not said
in their name.

Then the article ends with what reads like an ad for one such device,
"designed under the guidance of Rav Belsky zt"l and yb"l Rav Schachter
Shlita. The device is OU certified to ensure proper Shabbos observance."
No explanation about what guidance was needed. Although with indicator
lights and a built in 35 year calendar, it would be easier to use than
just anything you pick up at Home Depot.

Still, it sounds like an equally valid alternative is to do without auto
defrost and block the door sensor. Just like many do for the light switch.
(I just leave the bulb unscrewed all week around.) Even a magnetic sensor
can be blocked, despite having no reachable moving parts, it just means
taping a stip of magnet to the right spot.

I am pretty sure your freezer won't become a block of ice even over a 3
day yom tov. Whereas turning on and off your fridge for three days will
reduce lifespan of the food in it. (Especially given chalav yisrael's
typically shorter shelf-life.)

Micha Berger             "I think, therefore I am." - Renne Descartes
micha at aishdas.org        "I am thought about, therefore I am -
http://www.aishdas.org   my existence depends upon the thought of a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      Supreme Being Who thinks me." - R' SR Hirsch