[Avodah] Yom Kippur Risk/Reward

Rich, Joel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Dec 7 02:44:01 PST 2016

Over Yom Kippur I got to thinking about the Mishna in Yoma concerning whether an alternate Cohen Gadol or wife is chosen. What are the factors to be considered? The more I thought about it, the more I realized this question was a subset of a more general issue of how Chazal viewed risk/reward tradeoffs.

So what were some of the tradeoffs that the commentaries read into the different Talmudic cases of whether we are concerned for mortality?
 1. What time period are we concerned about? (exposure period) [Zman merubeh or aman muat] 2. What's at stake [kapparat klal Yisrael or mitzvah b'alma] 3. How do we evaluate alternative scenarios [replace kohain gadol vs. using an unmarried one] 4. Is the risk truly random? (Mortality as a random variable vs. punishment/destiny)
 5. Is there a materiality threshold or do we need worry about the perfect storm (ruin theory)?
 6. Is the risk to an individual or a group?
 7. Is the risk predictable? Is it sudden onset?

KT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.