[Avodah] Minhag Shtus

Michael Poppers via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Nov 20 15:37:35 PST 2016

​In Avodah V34n152, R'Micha responded to my suggestion (that "the prevalent
*minhag* among non-Yekke Ashk'nazim to not wear a *talis gadol* (and
thereby fulfill *ituf*)
​
until marriage"
​ would be an example of a "
minhag that contradicts halakhah
")​
with
​> Atifah is a chiyuv? I thought it was minhag to make a point of wearing
a four cornered garment during tefillah.
​
<
​
​*Ituf* is how you properly wear a four-cornered garment -- i.e. it's a
prerequisite when fulfilling *mitzvas tzitzis*.​

​

​
One might argue that a minhag to be yosheiv uboteil from some mitzvah
makhsheres or qiyumis (an asei that's not an imperitive) is a minhag
shtus, but I didn't take that for granted. Clearly the MB felt that
without the "derashah", it would be very strange. <
>From Tur OC 17 (especially BaCH ad loc.) and from SA OC 17:3, which are
based on the sources I mentioned as well as on TY, a parent (or anyone
obligated by the *mitzvas _chiyuvis_ d'chinuch*) who can afford to buy
himself a *talis* must also buy a *talis* for his son (or ward) so long as
that young man understands how (i.e. has the *da'as*) to be *misateif* (TB)
and/or how to keep two *tzitzis* in front of his body and two behind (TY).

While on the subject (regardless of whether the noted "prevalent *minhag*
among non-Yekke Ashk'nazim" is contrary to *halacha* or merely "very strange"),
I would further suggest that *b'nei mitzva* be encouraged by listmembers
(and anyone else reading this; naturally, in consultation with your Rav) to
ask for a *talis* as a BM gift (or to invest some of the BM-gift cash in a
*talis*) and to be *misateif* during davening.  For me, the benefits are
incalculable, and the few times I've davened Shacharis without a *talis*
(e.g. when unexpectedly away from home overnight into the morning), I felt
relatively naked!  Ask yourself: is it really more important (especially if
you're a [budding] *talmid chacham*, for whom RamBaM considers not wearing
a *talis* a "*g'nai gadol*") to visibly wear your not-yet-married status
like a badge of courage rather than to fulfill a *mitzva* like this one,
whose critical nature is noted day and night in the 3rd *parasha* of
Q'riyas Shma and which can provide you with incalculable benefit?

All the best from
*Michael Poppers* * Elizabeth, NJ, USA