[Avodah] Minhag Shtus

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Nov 17 09:05:06 PST 2016

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 09:36:10PM -0500, Michael Poppers via Avodah wrote:
: OK, so from BT Sukah 42a
: <http://dafyomi.org/index.php?masechta=succah&daf=42a&go=Go> and RaMBaM
: H.Tzitzis 3 <http://www.mechon-mamre.org/i/2403n.htm>:8-10 all the way
: through MB 17:10 (who misunderstood MaHaRYL, but that's a different
: conversation :)), shouldn't we conclude that the prevalent *minhag* among
: non-Yekke Ashk'nazim to not wear a *talis gadol* (and thereby fulfill *ituf*)
: until marriage is *shtus*?

Atifah is a chiyuv? I thought it was minhag to make a point of wearing
a four cornered garment during tefillah.

One might argue that a minhag to be yosheiv uboteil from some mitzvah
makhsheres or qiyumis (an asei that's not an imperitive) is a minhag
shtus, but I didn't take that for granted. Clearly the MB felt that
without the "derashah", it would be very strange.