[Avodah] Rav Melamed on metal pots

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Sep 18 13:23:34 PDT 2016

R' Eli Turkel posted:

> see however the discussion of R. Lior's opinion (and so quotes) at

http://judaism.stackexchange.com/questions/26285/blias-in-todays-pots-and-pans

A poster there gives Rav Lior's original Hebrew, and this translation of it:

> Even according to the opinion of the Rama, who is stringent with
> glass utensils, saying that since they are initially made from
> sand their ruling is like earthenware. But stainless steel
> utensils, that don't hardly absorb anything and are made of
> metal not sand, it is permissible to cook in them meat, to clean
> well and after to cook milk the same day, and the reverse as well.

I'm having trouble understanding this. I perceive a contradiction in the
logic.

On the one hand, glass is viewed as being like earthenware (in other words:
not kasherable) because it is made of sand (i.e., earth), despite the fact
that its properties are very different than earthenware (smooth, meltable,
non-porous).

On the other hand there seems to be a willingness to give a new status to
stainless steel, which is a metal similar to the other metals that halacha
has already discussed. The only thing new and different about stainless
steel is that it MIGHT be less absorbent than other metals.

Why is there a great reluctance to distinguish between earthenware and
glass, while being far less reluctant to distinguish between those metals
and this metal?

Akiva Miller