[Avodah] Mezonos Rolls?

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 14 22:43:41 PDT 2016

On 14/09/16 14:44, Prof. Levine via Avodah wrote:
> My wife returned on EL from EY last Sunday.  She had ordered mehadrin
> food.  It came with a roll marked "Mezonos."   It is hard for me to
> understand how the Mehadrin hashgacha could label a roll "Mezonos" in
> the light of the following.  I can only wonder why people are being
> misled. YL

It's very simple.  The hashgacha is entitled to disagree with the OU's view.

OU-certified meals have hamotzi bread, and the insert informs the passenger
of this fact, and advises that if washing is impractical then they should
not eat the bread, or save it for later.   And the OU comes in for regular
criticism, from those who want mezonos bread and don't want the OU making
that decision for them; from those who didn't bother to read the insert and
just assumed the bread to be mezonos, and now blame the OU for not having
anticipated their unfounded assumption; and from those who say that if the
bread can't be readily eaten with the meal then it shouldn't be there at all.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other