[Avodah] Mezonos Rolls?

Prof. Levine via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 14 11:44:09 PDT 2016

My wife returned on EL from EY last Sunday.  She had ordered mehadrin
food.  It came with a roll marked "Mezonos."   It is hard for me to
understand how the Mehadrin hashgacha could label a roll "Mezonos" in
the light of the following.  I can only wonder why people are being misled. YL

 From the OU Halacha Yomis.

Q: I have seen sandwiches and rolls labeled "Mezonos Rolls." Is the
bracha on these rolls really mezonos?

A. As noted in the previous Halacha Yomis, the Shulchan Aruch (O.C.
168:7) rules that the bracha on baked dough made with honey, oil,
milk or spices is borei minei mezonos. How much spice or flavor must
be added to the dough to render the bracha mezonos and not hamotzi?
The Shulchan Aruch rules that a discernable taste is sufficient, and
this position is followed by Sephardic Jewry. In contrast, the Rama
rules that the flavor must be predominant, and this ruling is
followed by Ashkenazic Jewry. The OU poskim, as well as many others,
understand the Rama to mean that the bracha is mezonos only if the
final product tastes like cake, and not like bread.

"Mezonos Rolls" are generally kneaded with fruit juice and water.
Typically, they taste almost exactly like regular rolls. Rav Belsky
and Rav Schachter both held that they are without question hamotzi
for Ashkenazim. Even for Sephardim, the bracha may be hamotzi, since
the fruit juice is often not discernable.

 From today's OU Halacha Yomi.