[Avodah] Mourning an Abusive Parent

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Sep 6 18:55:32 PDT 2016

On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 10:36:39PM +1000, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
: Mourning an abusive parent ought to be prohibited since it violates the
: Issur of Chanufa...

An abusive person, definitely. An abusive parent? Not so sure.

As I see it from the discussion so far:

1- To what extent is kibud av va'eim a mitzvah bein adam laMaqom, and
thus not only about the parent. The parent as a symbol of the Third
Parner in the person's creation and how He would be treated.

As in R' Aryeh Frimer's book review -- it's not clear a rasha serves
in that role. But I am also not sure we hold he doesn't.

2- What can we demand out of the victim? It's not like kibud av is
yeihareig ve'al ya'avor. Mental health matters.

Micha Berger             None of us will leave this place alive.
micha at aishdas.org        All that is left to us is
http://www.aishdas.org   to be as human as possible while we are here.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Anonymous MD, while a Nazi prisoner