[Avodah] Mourning an Abusive Parent

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Sep 3 05:36:39 PDT 2016

Mourning an abusive parent ought to be prohibited since it violates the
Issur of Chanufa - we are not permitted [according to R Yona under pain of
death] to in any way show endorsement or even acceptance of a Rasha. If
this person has shown no remorse, he remains a Rasha. I suppose the Q then
becomes HOW much remorse must he show? Because possibly a minimal amount of
remorse means he is no longer a Rasha, even if he has not the fortitude to
ask Mechila from his victims.

The Gemara BM discussing children returning identifiable objects, a pink
caddillac which is the Ribis collected by their deceased father says this
only takes place when the father has repented but died before being able to
complete returning the identifiable object. Otherwise he is a Rasha. They
are not permitted to honour a Rasha. Which suggests that if he had the
opportunity to return it but did not - he still remains a Rasha
notwithstanding any remorse he may have expressed.

The only argument to honour a Mechallel Shabbos BeFarHesya with an Aliyah
is that these-days, Chillul Shabbos is no longer seen as a trampling upon
and a dismissive rejection of, Yiddishkeit.

Best,

Meir G. Rabi