[Avodah] aveilut for an abuser

Moshe Yehuda Gluck via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 29 19:36:26 PDT 2016

R'MB:
I have a friend, slighly different case. The child was not the victim, and
the father's violence was not expressed sexually. He was told by Rav Reuven
Feinstein that he was obligated to sit shiv'ah. But I must confess, it was
far from a somber shiv'ah house. The whole experience was weird.

Another weird case I've wondered about for years: A man receives a heter
mei'ah rabbanim, marries again, and then his first (and still) wife dies. He
sits shivah for the first, presumably, even though they may have been
estranged for years. (A similar situation, though less weird to me, would be
in regards to an agunah, where a spouse would presumably sit shivah for the
spouse even though they haven't been in contact for years.)

KT,
MYG