[Avodah] ohr lagoyim

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 5 23:49:09 PDT 2016

On 6/5/2016 10:46 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:15:56PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> : On 06/03/2016 04:37 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> : >The issue Lisa and I were discussing is whether "le'or goyim" implies
> : >a chiyuv on our part, and if not, does the chiyuv people read into those
> : >words exist anyway?
> :
> : In support of the "no" side, the main example given is "`amim har yikra'u";
>
> The exitence of an influence that does not require our conscious effort
> and wouldn't be an imperative does not speak to the exitence of an
> imperative to put in conscious effort as well.
>
> My earlier comment in reply to Lisa was that even if le'or goyim were a
> statement of fact rather than an imperative, wouldn't charged with being
> a malekhes kohanim imply that imperative anyway?
And I think the answer is "no".

> So, nu, our influence via daughter religions and just being there to
> shape host cultures may have fulfilled the prophecy of le'or goyim
> either way. Yet we still have to act in a way that brings others to
> avodas Hashem.
Or rather, Hashem is telling us that this will be the end result.  I
don't see any indication of an obligation on our part towards the
nations of the world.

> Hevei mitalmidav shel Aharon ... uheiv es haberios umeqarvan laTorah.
Good mussar, but also not a chiyuv.

> [Rabbi Chanina b Dosa] haya omer: Kol sheruach haberios nochah heimenu,
> hurach haMaqom nochah heimenu.
And again, no chiyuv here.

> Similarly R Meir in the beraisa (Avos 6:6). Etc...
>
> It seems that there is much to be said about our acting in a way that
> is attractive to all berios, Jew and non-Jew alike. Regardless of peshat
> in "le'or goyim".
No one is saying it isn't a good thing.  But we prioritize, and whether
a thing is an obligation or not goes into the calculation of those
priorities.  This isn't an obligation.  To paraphrase someone, it's
descriptive; not prescriptive.

Lisa

---