[Avodah] ohr lagoyim

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 5 12:46:33 PDT 2016

On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 11:15:56PM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: On 06/03/2016 04:37 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
: >The issue Lisa and I were discussing is whether "le'or goyim" implies
: >a chiyuv on our part, and if not, does the chiyuv people read into those
: >words exist anyway?
:
: In support of the "no" side, the main example given is "`amim har yikra'u";

The exitence of an influence that does not require our conscious effort
and wouldn't be an imperative does not speak to the exitence of an
imperative to put in conscious effort as well.

My earlier comment in reply to Lisa was that even if le'or goyim were a
statement of fact rather than an imperative, wouldn't charged with being
a malekhes kohanim imply that imperative anyway?

So, nu, our influence via daughter religions and just being there to
shape host cultures may have fulfilled the prophecy of le'or goyim
either way. Yet we still have to act in a way that brings others to
avodas Hashem.

Hevei mitalmidav shel Aharon ... uheiv es haberios umeqarvan laTorah.

[Rabbi Chanina b Dosa] haya omer: Kol sheruach haberios nochah heimenu,
hurach haMaqom nochah heimenu.

Similarly R Meir in the beraisa (Avos 6:6). Etc...

It seems that there is much to be said about our acting in a way that
is attractive to all berios, Jew and non-Jew alike. Regardless of peshat
in "le'or goyim".

There is also a possibility that le'or goyim is a messianic prophecy. Like

And the same questions could be raised with "Halkhu amim rabim... Ki
miTzion teitzei Sorah..." De facto, it will? We must act in a way that
causes Torah to be spread from Zion? Now? Le'asid lavo?

Micha Berger             Today is the 43rd day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 1 day in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Chesed sheb'Malchus: How does unity result in
Fax: (270) 514-1507                           good for all mankind?