[Avodah] ohr lagoyim

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Jun 4 20:15:56 PDT 2016

On 06/03/2016 04:37 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> The issue Lisa and I were discussing is whether "le'or goyim" implies
> a chiyuv on our part, and if not, does the chiyuv people read into those
> words exist anyway?

In support of the "no" side, the main example given is "`amim har yikra'u";
that people will come to EY to do business with Shevet Zevulun, and while
they're there they will do some touristing and visit Y'm to see what is to
be seen, and be so impressed that they'll accept the 7 mitzvos and bring
zivchei tzedek.   So there's no missionising, no outreach, just us being
ourselves, and those who are already prone to be attracted to the light
will be attracted.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other