[Avodah] Kiddush hashem via issur

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 17 14:47:57 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 04:30:39PM -0400, Zev Sero wrote:
: On 05/17/2016 03:54 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
: >And as I repeatedly responded, untrue. A talmid chakham with dirty
: >clothes (or Rav buying his meat on credit, Yuma 86a) poses a chilul
: >hasheim because CH*does*  mean "bad PR", vekhein lehefekh -- a qiddush
: >hasheim is something that draws others to avodas Hashem.
:
: Only among those whose values match those of the Torah.

Where does it say that?

And who has values that match the Torah's who would judge the Torah
by how clean some TC's frock is?

: >Later in that same sugya in Yuma, Yitzchaq od R' Yannai's BM says,
: >"Anyone whose peers are embarassed of his reputation is a chilul hasheim,

: Emphasis on "his peers".  Those who hold the same values.

The reputation that causes the embarassment is the CH. And the reputation
is not limited to those peers.

: >and R' Nachman bar Yitzchaq, such as if people say, "May the L-rd forgive
: >Peloni.

: Again we see that we are talking only about those who believe in Hashem and
: His value system.   If people say "may Baal forgive Peloni", that is a
: *kiddush* haShem.

??? Every monotheist follows the Torah? What if his behavior is a turn-off
to Tzeduqim?

Besides, who said the person's master / lord is ours? Other than my
capitalization and hyphen, that's not a compelled reading.

: >Abayei then says this is like the beraisa on the pasuq "ve'ahavta
: >es H' Elokekha" -- that sheim shamayim should be beloved because of you.
:
: It should be obvious that this is only among those who have a correct
: value system.

You're inserting your conclusion into a sentence that has no such
limitation.

micha at aishdas.org        3 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Netzach: When does domination or
Fax: (270) 514-1507        taking control result in balance and harmony?