[Avodah] Kiddush hashem via issur

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 17 13:30:39 PDT 2016

On 05/17/2016 03:54 PM, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> And as I repeatedly responded, untrue. A talmid chakham with dirty
> clothes (or Rav buying his meat on credi, Yuma 86a) poses a chilul
> hasheim because CH*does*  mean "bad PR", vekhein lehefekh -- a qiddush
> hasheim is something that draws others to avodas Hashem.

Only among those whose values match those of the Torah.

> Later in that same sugya in Yuma, Yitzchaq od R' Yannai's BM says,
> "Anyone whose peers are embarassed of his reputation is a chilul hasheim,

Emphasis on "his peers".  Those who hold the same values.

> and R' Nachman bar Yitzchaq, such as if people say, "May the L-rd forgive
> Peloni.

Again we see that we are talking only about those who believe in Hashem and
His value system.   If people say "may Baal forgive Peloni", that is a
*kiddush* haShem.

> Abayei then says this is like the beraisa on the pasuq "ve'ahavta
> es H' Elokekha" -- that sheim shamayim should be beloved because of you.

It should be obvious that this is only among those who have a correct
value system.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other