[Avodah] chumra and kulah

Arie Folger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri May 6 07:59:48 PDT 2016

RET wrote:
> 3) I had a discussion with a rabbi recently about civil marriages. He felt
> that in many cases one should be machmir to require a get. I pointed out
> that a consequence of such a chumra is to declare many people mamzerim
when
> they are products of a second civil marriage without a get. This affects
> many old Russian familes and also the question of Jewishness of anusim
etc.

Actually, that simply doesn't reflect the most widespread position on civil
marriage, which in reality is that we seek a get even in cases of divorcing
couples that had not had chupa vekiddushin, but, and here is the key, but
we do not seek such a get in cases where it would imply mamzerut. Of
course, the rule isn't applied entirely directly. Rather, every single case
is separately analyzed on its own merits. But we do our utmost to avoid
mamzerut and that does not stand in contradiction with seeking a proper get
in cases of most divorcing civil marriage only couples.
--
Arie Folger,
Recent blog posts on http://rabbifolger.net/

* Koscheres Geld (Podcast)
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/15/koscheres-geld-podcast/>

* Kennt die Existenz nur den Chaos? G”ttliches Vorsehen im Jüdischen
Gedankengut (Podcast)
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/14/kennt-die-existenz-nur-den-chaos-gttliches-vorsehen-im-judischen-gedankengut-podcast/>

* Halacha zum Wochenabschnitt: Baruch Hu uWaruch Schemo
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/11/halacha-zum-wochenabschnitt-baruch-hu-uwaruch-schemo/>

* Is there Order to the World? Providence in Jewish Thought
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/09/is-there-order-to-the-world-providence-in-jewish-thought/>

* What is Modern Orthodoxy (from a radio segment)
<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/02/08/what-is-modern-orthodoxy-from-a-radio-segment/>

<http://rabbifolger.net/2016/01/28/wir-missionieren-nicht-aber-warum-nicht/>