[Avodah] Vayichad Yisro - Disparaging Non-Jews

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Feb 10 12:07:22 PST 2016

On 02/10/2016 02:58 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> 1- Whatever geirus Yisro underwent, it didn't require it being after
> maamad har sinai.

There was giyur before Sinai, but it just meant becoming a naturalized
citizen of Bnei Yisrael rather than whatever one was before.  There was
no kedusha involved.

According to the view that the story of Shlomit bat Divri's son took
place before matan torah, this was the question before Moshe: When he
found out that he was not considered a Ben Yisrael because Bnei Noach's
yichus goes after the father, he was megayer, so Moshe had to ask whether
this wiped out his conviction, as it would do after matan torah.  The
answer was no, it didn't; the aspect of giyur that wipes out all previous
sins is the entry into the Bris, not the change of nationality.   (Malbim)

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week