[Avodah] Vayichad Yisro - Disparaging Non-Jews

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Feb 10 11:58:51 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 02:27:53PM -0500, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
: >And they seem to imply to me that the Qeini were a tribe of geirei toshav,
: >of whom Tzipporah, Rachav and Ya'el converted.

: Why do you think they imply that, rather than that they were a tribe
: of gerei toshav, for generations.  That Yael was a giyores doesn't
: mean that she converted.

To repeat:

1- Whatever geirus Yisro underwent, it didn't require it being after
maamad har sinai.

2- It did require Rachav convert to marry Yehoshua.

3- That Yalqut is discussing people who converted, eg, "al sheqorvah
atzmah kakh qorvah haMaqom."

: >When it comes to serarah, the NbY (qama CM 1) says that Rechav'am was
: >not barred as a ben geirim.

: Why should he have been?  His father was a Yisrael.

Please see the NbY, who doesn't suggest your limitation. He just says
a ben geirim can lead. Maybe the NbY holds like the Tur, making geirus
dominant (rather the Rambam and SA who hold it's recessive).

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l