[Avodah] changing nusach hatefile

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Dec 6 11:55:08 PST 2015

On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 09:36:53PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: The teshuva which we've been referring to is Igros Moshe, O"C 2:24. I'd
: like to focus on the second paragraph, beginning on line 6. Rav Moshe
: writes:
:
: "You can't consider it to be a Change Of Minhag, that which you have
: started to daven Nusach Ashkenaz, even though your father - and another two
: or three generations - started to daven in the new nusach. Rather, on the
: contrary! THEY changed the minhag of their fathers, and our rabbis, the
: Adirei Olam, the Chachmei Tzarfas and Ashkenaz."

"They" meaning the first generation, the ones who actually "hischilu
lehispalel benusach hachadash", the two or three generations before the
sho'el's father. There is no value judgment stated about their children
or grandchildren (the generations in between them and the sho'el), nor
the sho'el himself staying with Sfard after the switch.

So I disagree with this conclusion:
: But I have to admit that Rav Moshe also accused 3 or 4 generations of doing
: something wrong, and it is difficult to imagine that he'd think it's okay
: for yet another generation to continue on that same path.

Micha Berger             Man is equipped with such far-reaching vision,
micha at aishdas.org        yet the smallest coin can obstruct his view.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507