[Avodah] Kosher Turkey and Women Rabbis and Mesorah

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Dec 4 11:12:05 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 07:46:56AM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: R' Daniel M. Israel wrote:
:> I've seen arguments like this one before, and they miss the
:> critical difference. How rulings such as permitting turkey,
:> the switch to nusach Sephard, or even how Judaism survived
:> without the korbanos, all arose and entered the mainstream
:> is a very interesting topic and beyond the scope of a post
:> here (or my abilities to do justice to), but it is clear in
:> all these cases that the source was not a group of activists
:> promoting a agenda which was primarily driven by some outside
:> value system. This makes all the difference.

: Is it *really* so clear that these changes were not sourced by an outside
: agenda?

Please let me split the question...

1- Were these changes actually sourced by an outside agenda?

2- Is it within the process to make changes source by an outide agenda?

3- Does emunas chakhamim allow us to believe that yes, they were changed
because of an outside aganda?

E.g. I could be obligated to believe that she'eris Yisrael lo
yaasu avla, change because of an outside agenda would be an avla,
and therefore believe that these changes were entirely internally
cused. But not be able to prove the point from historical evidence
and analysis.

In which case, it would not be so clear from objective evidence, but
clear to me anyway "that these changes were not sourced by an outside
agenda.

Moving from the question to my own first thoughts about answering it:

I guess that if there were two equally viable derakhim one could take,
why couldn't decisions between them depend on which fits other criteria.

The question is how much does prcedent itself make that derekh the
more viable of the two. Would my "I guess" only apply to entirely new
situations, or ones with a diversity of precedents to work with?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Man is capable of changing the world for the
micha at aishdas.org        better if possible, and of changing himself for
http://www.aishdas.org   the better if necessary.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Victor Frankl, Man's search for Meaning