[Avodah] Kosher Turkey and Women Rabbis and Mesorah

Ben Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Dec 5 08:20:24 PST 2015

The switch to Nusach Sefard was part of a movement that was put in
cherem.  The assumptions made about that movement were a lot worse than
those made about the Judeo Feminists. It took decades before that split
was healed and it still isn't completely healed.

Similarly, Rav Kook was kulo internal sources/internal agenda. That
didn't stop people from putting him in cherem. To this day there are
plenty of folks who consider him and everything he said to be treif.

Ben

: R' Daniel M. Israel wrote:
:> I've seen arguments like this one before, and they miss the
:> critical difference. How rulings such as permitting turkey,
:> the switch to nusach Sephard, or even how Judaism survived
:> without the korbanos, all arose and entered the mainstream
:> is a very interesting topic and beyond the scope of a post
:> here (or my abilities to do justice to), but it is clear in
:> all these cases that the source was not a group of activists
:> promoting a agenda which was primarily driven by some outside
:> value system. This makes all the difference.