[Avodah] Ahab

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Nov 25 12:48:29 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 10:34:26PM +0200, Lisa Liel wrote:
: And Hashem sent nevi'im to anoint kings who weren't from Yehudah.
: Shaul, Yeravam, Yehu...  I have to figure that if He did that, it's
: okay.

Shaul aside, since he predates Yehudah getting the sheivet, so "lo yasur
sheivet miYhudah" wouldn't apply...

It could be that HQBH hates bloody fights over succession worse.

In any case, the Ralbag and Radaq say she wasn't Jewish. That piece I
pointed to had no direct quotes otherwise, but does list a number of
maamarei Chazal that would seem to say otherwise.

So, the possibility that Izevel was not Jewish has to be supportable,
even if you yourself do not find it convincing.

(Sidenote: I am getting a chuckle out of discussing whether a queen
a queen of Malkhus Yisrael was a baalas beris using an English word
whose etymology is more like "member of the people of the descendents
of Malkhus Yehudah" -- Jew.)

Micha Berger             The purely righteous do not complain about evil,
micha at aishdas.org        but add justice, don't complain about heresy,
http://www.aishdas.org   but add faith, don't complain about ignorance,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      but add wisdom.     - R AY Kook, Arpelei Tohar