[Avodah] Ahab

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Nov 26 01:27:56 PST 2015

<< Lisa Liel wrote: Hashem sent nevi'im to anoint kings who weren't from
Yehudah. Shaul, Yeravam, Yehu...  I have to figure that if He did that,
it's okay.

In any case, the Ralbag and Radaq say she wasn't Jewish. >>

Note also that Athaliah is  the daughter of King Ahab
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahab> and Queen Jezebel
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jezebel_(Bible)> of Israel
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Israel_(Samaria)> (according to
most commentaries). Athaliah was married to Jehoram of Judah to seal a
treaty <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty> between the kingdoms of
Israel and Judah, and to secure his position. In any case we have many
cases in Tanach where Jews married nonJews (and at least the Bible doesnt
mention any conversion).

As we have discussed the most famous case is Ruth where her conversion
seems to occur after the death of Machon and Kilyon. Others cases involve
marriages of kings for political purposes including David and Shlomo. Note
that Rechavam's mother Naama was an ammonite.
In addition we have the famous story of Shimshom. Of course before Sinai we
have Moshe Rabbenu.

Later in history Ezra fought against the prevelant custom of marrying
nonJewish women.
see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interfaith_marriage_in_Judaism

Eli

--