[Avodah] Ahab

Lisa Liel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Nov 25 12:34:26 PST 2015

On 11/25/2015 10:16 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> I wonder about the question, though. Did Chazal consider any of Malkhei
> Yisrael legitimate even if their membership in Benei Yisrael were not
> a question? After all, Yerav'am is from Efraim, not Yehudah, and even
> the whole throne of the kingdom of Yisrael isn't all that legitimate.
> Maybe Chazal never questioned their legitimacy for the throne due to
> Izevel's lack of geirus (as the Radaq and Ralbag hold) because there
> wasn't any either way.

But who says kings can only come from shevet Yehudah?  Even the Rambam
says that you can have kings from other shevatim.  It's just that
they're subordinate to the king of Yehudah.  Essentially, for the entire
duration of the northern kingdom, it was in rebellion.

Also, I think we're talking about two different kinds of legitimacy.
Being Jewish, and being a legitimate king.

And Hashem sent nevi'im to anoint kings who weren't from Yehudah. Shaul,
Yeravam, Yehu...  I have to figure that if He did that, it's okay.

Lisa