[Avodah] Name and Reputation

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Nov 12 08:17:50 PST 2015

On 11/12/2015 07:56 AM, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> I referred to:
>  > Yom Kippur Musaf: "V'kach hayah omer: Ana Hasheim! - And
>  > so he'd say, Please G-d!"
>
> But R' Zev Sero explained it better:
>
>  > He didn't actually say "Ana haSheim"; what he said was
>  > "ana $haSheim", where $haSheim is the actual Name that
>  > only he could say.
>
> Yet WE pronounce it heh-shin-mem.

Because we are referring to what he actually said.  He said "Please
[insert Name here] ...  please, by [insert Name here] ...".   The point
of that paragraph in the machzor is to highlight that he used the Sheim.

> Which brings up a whole bunch of further questions. Are there any
> other cases in our entire liturgy where we use HaSheim instead of the
> Shem Adnus?

But this *isn't* instead of Sheim Adnus.  It's literally a reference to
the Shem Hameforash.  Perhaps nother example is "..bayom hahu yihyeh
A-Y echad USHEMO echad".  Or, in the RH machzor, "Shevach migdol oz
SHEM HAGADOL".

> If we are re-enacting the Avodah, wouldn't it be even more
> appropriate when citing the Kohen Gadol's recital of the pasuk
> "...lifei HaSheim tit'haru"?

I do wonder that, and also why the description of what happened at
that moment, before the KG finished the pasuk, is not a hefsek in
the pasuk itself.  Especially since the chazanim developed a tradition
of extending this interpolation with a long tune.  Why not finish the
pasuk first, and then describe what would happen while the KG was saying
it?

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week