[Avodah] Name and Reputation

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Nov 16 13:45:33 PST 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 07:56:51AM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: Which brings up a whole bunch of further questions. Are there any other
: cases in our entire liturgy where we use HaSheim instead of the Shem Adnus?

Related.... RYBS has you parse the quote as "Ana, basheim kaper na... --
Please, through the medium of the name, give kaparah to the sinners..."
(Similarly, "ki bayom hazeh" is taken as a reference to "itzumo shel yom
mechaper".)

So, maybe here too he is somehow referring to the sheim Hashem?!

A second hint of what may be a more solid possibility, is that the
chazan shortly after uses sheim Adnus is a stand-in for the sheim
hameforash. Perhaps if Adnus is being promoted in this paragraph, we
use Hashem for sheim Havayah. (Assuming that Havayah isn't itself the
sheim hameforash, as per the Rambam.)

Micha Berger             When we are no longer able to change a situation
micha at aishdas.org        -- just think of an incurable disease such as
http://www.aishdas.org   inoperable cancer -- we are challenged to change
Fax: (270) 514-1507      ourselves.      - Victor Frankl (MSfM)