[Avodah] Name and Reputation

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Nov 12 04:56:51 PST 2015

I referred to:
> Yom Kippur Musaf: "V'kach hayah omer: Ana Hasheim! - And
> so he'd say, Please G-d!"

But R' Zev Sero explained it better:

> He didn't actually say "Ana haSheim"; what he said was
> "ana $haSheim", where $haSheim is the actual Name that
> only he could say.

Yet WE pronounce it heh-shin-mem.

Which brings up a whole bunch of further questions. Are there any other
cases in our entire liturgy where we use HaSheim instead of the Shem Adnus?

And why davka *here*? If we are re-enacting the Avodah, wouldn't it be even
more appropriate when citing the Kohen Gadol's recital of the pasuk
"...lifei HaSheim tit'haru"? I anticipate that some might answer "because
it's a pasuk", but that merely highlights the fact that we are so
habituated to the Shem Adnus that we forget that it is itself a replacement
for the Real Name. So if we must replace the Real Name with something (and
indeed we must because we are not the Kohen Gadol), wouldn't this be a
great place to use the "$haSheim" replacement instead of the more common
Adnus replacement?

Akiva Miller