[Avodah] Name and Reputation

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Nov 11 20:09:31 PST 2015

On 11/11/2015 08:12 PM, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
> (By the way, perhaps this is a good place to mention two places in
> davening where we actually say "Hasheim", spelled heh-shin-mem. In
> one place it actually means "the Name", and in the other it means
> "G-d", and I don't think either could be twisted into "the
> Reputation". Coincidentally or not, both are in the Avodah section of
> Yom Kippur Musaf: "V'kach hayah omer: Ana Hasheim! - And so he'd say,
> Please G-d!", and "haya miskavein ligmor es HaSheim - he would aim to
> complete The Name".)

Actually in both places it means The Name.  He didn't actually say "Ana
haSheim"; what he said was "ana $haSheim", where $haSheim is the actual
Name that only he could say.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week