[Avodah] Name and Reputation

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Nov 11 20:02:54 PST 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 08:12:14PM -0500, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
: I don't have an answer, but I can suggest a possible direction for
: research: When this chillul is discussed by the poskim, it it spelled
: heh-apostrophe, or heh-shin-mem? The former is near universal, I think,
: though the latter would fit RMB's explanation better.

Historically, the phrase "chilul hasheim" is older (Tosefta, Y-mi and shas)
than the notion of calling the Aibishter "Hashem".

: Any linguists around? I think RMB is on the button logically, but I suspect
: this an example of where a phrase takes on a life of its own...

Idiomatic expression.

: (By the way, perhaps this is a good place to mention two places in davening
: where we actually say "Hasheim", spelled heh-shin-mem. In one place it
: actually means "the Name", and in the other it means "G-d", and I don't
: think either could be twisted into "the Reputation".....

"Sheim" means reputation in "to sheim mishemen tov", no?

Or in Avos, "qanah seim tov"(2:7), "keser sheim tov" (4:13).

And it fits here; when a TC behaves in a way that would make people think
less of Torah (eg dress like a slob) he diminishes Hashem's reputation,
not the proper noun we call Him by.

Micha Berger             "As long as the candle is still burning,
micha at aishdas.org        it is still possible to accomplish and to
http://www.aishdas.org   mend."
Fax: (270) 514-1507          - Anonymous shoemaker to R' Yisrael Salanter